Huckleberry Done

Huckleberry: Done.

So, my redesign of Mark Twain’s Huckleberry Finn (page layouts) is complete!

It was a pretty fun process.

Mapping out the grid. Picking appropriate fonts. Watching how the way the novel read changed instantly.

In the end, I decided to stay with the typeface “Haymaker” for the chapter openings. I tried a few scripts, serifs and even a sans serif font… but in the end I felt like Haymaker conveys the right “rustic” feel for a story about a couple of boys running around the countryside.

I also chose to stay with Adobe Jenson Pro Regular. I was a little frustrated to see that there didn’t appear to be a Book Weight in the font family, but so it goes. (I personally like fonts light and spaced out in books, anyways…)

I decided to keep the traditional style of headers (the Author’s name and book title) running across the top of the page; it occurred to me that those pages might be scanned by the reader (e.g. for class, like I did), so it’s a good idea to keep those factors in place. And it just looks kind of classical, too.

Anyways. Peruse the spreads below, and enjoy this glorious sunshine!

Chapter Opening

Image

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s